Nearly 15 percent of patients who undergo total knee arthroplasty (TKA, or total knee replacement) experience arthrofibrosis – a post-operative complication where excessive scar tissue formation leads to painful and/or restricted knee motion.1 It is impossible for these patients, and other patients with knee arthrofibrosis, to effectively stretch or passively rotate their own knee without assistance. That’s why they need a device that promotes range of motion and stretch in extension to reduce pain and gain function.
With KneeMD, patients can perform extension stretches while lying down, sitting up or even standing, to stretch the leg and joint in different ways.
KneeMD can be used to passively rotate the knee joint through its available range of motion, which is especially beneficial before and after stretching or after a long period of inactivity, such as sitting in an office chair.
Using a strap attachment, patients can use KneeMD to facilitate a prolonged stretch in a relaxed position. Adjustable straps make it easy to increase or decrease force as needed and to change the type of stretch.
KneeMD can also be used for stretching in a therapy pool, doing hamstring stretches or even performing extension stretches while walking.
In addition to being used to correct range of motion or extension deficits, KneeMD can be used as a supplemental or transitional device from continuous passive motion (CPM) devices.
What People Are Saying
- “Patients are allowed full control of the stretching and mobilizing, therefore, they can appropriately adjust the intensity allowing for them to decrease overall guarding.”Laurie Griffin, Physical Therapist, Howard Head Sports Medicine
- “The KneeMD is a Blessing for anyone with an extension deficit.”Tristen G, Patient, long-time arthrofibrosis, many knee surgeries
- “Of all the apparatuses that are presently available to facilitate knee extension, I feel that the (KneeMD) is far and away the best machine to facilitate extension in the clinic as well as in the home…. All of my patients who have (used it) would express the same feeling.”Brent Butler, Physical Therapist, Central Utah Clinic
- It helps me tremendously. I use before every game before I warm up and start activity. Then use after game. It allows my knee to get that extra couple degrees and puts less stress on my leg. My trainers even pack it on all the road trips. I like how convenient it is as well. i know my knee wouldn't be as good as it is now with out it.Chris Coughlan, 2009 NL Rookie of the Year
- “[KneeMD is the] most direct way to increase extension.”Ray K, Patient, knee surgery with range of motion deficit
- “10 out of 10 physical therapists who have been introduced to and used KneeMD continue to use it because of its results. We’ve also seen an increase in physician referrals due to an increase in patient success.”Seth Kelson, DPT, Founder of American Fork Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine Clinic and Utah Valley Physical Therapy Spine and Sports Medicine
Post-operative rehabilitation following total knee arthroplasty (TKA, or total knee replacement) and other major knee surgeries is critical for regaining range of motion and strength. KneeMD is an easy-to-use knee rehabilitation device that allows patients to effectively stretch and rotate their knees on their own, without the assistance of a physical therapist. KneeMD gives the patient complete control over their therapy exercises, so they can adjust the frequency, duration and intensity of rehabilitation to minimize pain and maximize functional gain.
Because it’s so effective and easy to use, KneeMD is helping patients take ownership of their own rehabilitation. Physical therapists who use KneeMD with their patients report improved patient compliance with therapy, leading to an overall decrease in manipulation and an increase in patient satisfaction and success.
Built to Fit
KneeMD comes with easily adjustable straps which can configured in different ways to:
- Facilitate different types of stretches to simulate the different ways a physical therapist would manipulate a knee during a rehabilitation session
- Accommodate different leg sizes
- Avoid areas of incision or injury
Built to Motivate
KneeMD comes with a Track Bar that measures extension from the patient’s thigh in order to set goals, track progress and objectively measure extension gains.
Built to Move
KneeMD is lightweight and portable, so it’s easy to take and use anywhere – at home, at work, on the road and even in the pool.
Built to Last
Constructed from high-grade aluminum and stainless steel, KneeMD is durable for all-day, everyday use in a clinical setting or as a rental. KneeMD also comes with replacement straps and sanitary strap covers, so it can be safely used on multiple patients.
1Sharkey PF, et al., Insall Award paper. Why are total knee arthroplasties failing today? Clin Orthop Relat Res, 2002(404): p. 7-13.